Grease trap cleaning is required by law in some areas.
Grease trap cleaning. Why would anyone want to clean their grease trap? It’s certainly not a ”fun” job but it is a very necessary job. Depending on the area you are located, it may be required by local laws.
Listed below you will find some of the reasons you should keep you grease trap clean.
- Rotting and decaying foods create acid and eat away at the components of the trap which will result in a shorter service life for the trap.
- Keeping your grease trap clean will help reduce odors and gases caused by decaying food.
- The more often you clean your grease trap the easier it will be to clean each time.
- You will have much better water and waste flow out to your sewer pipe with a clean trap.
- Some areas it is required by law to have them cleaned on a regular basis..
So if you got to do, it you should be done the right way. Here’s how:
- Remove the fasteners to carefully remove the lid and be careful not to damage the gasket under the lid. If the gasket is Damaged replace it with a new one.
- Pay close attention to the parts of the trap and the way they work. Remember that you will have to reinstall them when you have finished cleaning.
- First remove the contents of the grease trap by hand with a tool or you may be able to vacuum the waste out with a good shop vac. Be sure to remove all the waste products in the trap. Scrape all the inside parts, walls, baffles and screens to insure a good flow of water through the trap..
- If you have any damaged parts replace them now.
- After a complete and very thorough cleaning, reassemble the internal parts the same way you removed them.
- Check the old gasket for wear or replace with a new gasket and place the lid back on and tighten the fasteners in reverse order that you removed them and you are finished.
If you are located in an area which requires grease trap cleaning by law there may be certain forms to be filed and your work documented by a the city or county health department. Give them a call to understand what exactly what the requirements are.